Most of us have been stuck at some point in our lives. Too many of us end up seemingly perpetually stuck. If you take a good hard look at yourself and your life, and are honest with yourself, you may discover just what you have allowed to hold you back. I have had many occasions to examine my own life to see why I wasn’t moving forward at the speed of light or soaring with the eagles. Here are some of the reasons I came up with for myself and my own life. See how many apply to you and your life.
1. Low mental and/or physical energy. This was huge for me! I’d find myself doing the exact same thing day after day, week after week: get up, go to work, come home, help with homework, do household stuff, go to bed, then repeat. For as much as I dislike routines, I didn’t realize that my whole life was stuck in one big routine! At the end of the day, when I thought about it honestly, I had time to do some of the things I needed to do to move my life forward, but either my mind or my body was always drained. When I realized this, I still needed my rest and my down time, but at the same time I needed to make a decision to break my routine by scheduling productive things into my day to break up the monotony and move me forward. I knew that if I didn’t, I’d stay stuck.
I found that once I started doing things that I needed to do, such as exercising and writing, funny enough, my energy increased! My mind and my body was learning to respond to the demands of my desires to move forward and I was finally getting out of my rut. The trick was to not think so much about it and just do it.
2. Scared-y cat. To again be honest, I procrastinated and stayed in my rut because I told myself, “Nobody wants to hear what you have to say. Nobody cares about what you want to share with them. Who’s going to listen to you? What are you talking about? Stop whining. Girl, they are gonna pick you apart.” And it went on and on. I talked myself into being scared instead of talking myself into being bold and fearless. And guess what? I was partially right! There are plenty of people who DON’T care about me or what I have to say. There are plenty of people who DON’T listen to me and who pick me apart. And I have learned, God didn’t place me here for them. God has me here to connect with certain people, and the others are just…bystanders and naysayers. My energy and gifts aren’t for bystanders and naysayers. My purpose is not for them. I’m keeping it moving.
3. There’s a leech hanging around. Leeches come in all shapes and forms. Some want your money. Some want your time. Some want your energy. Some want every darn thing you’ve got and then some. I’ll say that unfortunately I have some experience with this. These people take, take, take…suck you dry…and you have very little left to give to yourself. When you have little to give to yourself, you aren’t getting what you need for your continued growth. When I started to realize that I had a leech, someone who did not pour into me like I poured into them, I had to cut them loose. I started moving forward again. I definitely felt a lot better, that’s for sure.
4. Ignoring the lesson. Boy, have I done this before…several times! I kept finding myself in the same situations over and over again because I just wasn’t learning the lesson. Being an emotional creature, I wasn’t learning what to do when someone was bluffing, when someone was otherwise dishonoring, disrespecting, and lying to me, if my emotions were involved. Let’s just say that I believe I have learned these particular lessons now and have graduated from that class! When I finally learned the lessons behind these situations and others, immediately I was advanced to my next level.
5. No dream, no vision. Like the Good Book says, “without a vision, the people perish.” If you don’t want anything for your future, there is no different place to be in your life. If you don’t know what to reach for, how can you expect to get it? As I sit here thinking, I can’t say this necessarily applies to me. I’ve always wanted something else, something more, in at least one area of my life. Whether it was to be married, have children, get my body back, get the next higher paying job, build my business, go on the next vacation, re-decorate, get another house, reach a deeper level of peace—I’ve always been able to see myself at the next level in some area. So, I guess I may remain at the same level in some areas of my life while other areas progress, but I’m still evolving. We’ve got to keep growing, keep changing for the better.
6. Don’t know or understand where you are now. I can talk about burning belly fat all I want, but if I don’t know my current inches on my waist or my skirt or pant size, then how will I know when I’m no longer stuck? When my clothes are dangerously falling off of me? Not a good plan. I learned that I have to be honest about my situation before I can change it. I have to know how much money I have in the bank before I can successfully manage it. I have to know the real state of my relationships before I can make a good decision regarding nurturing them or letting them go. I have to know what needs to be fixed in my house before I can make appropriate repairs. Without this knowledge and understanding, I’d just be chasing my tail and ain’t nobody got time for that!
Well, I hope this short glimpse into my thoughts and experiences on being stuck with help to get you, or someone you know, unstuck. These are just 6 of many reasons—your reason(s) may be different. I hope that somehow you will still gain some insight and figure out how to improve your situation and your life.